Monday, October 6, 2014

Don't Miss: The Walking Dead (Spoiler Free)

The Walking Dead (Spoiler Free)



I know what you're thinking, "Another zombie show?". Yes, I've been there. I hate overplayed themes. Yet here I am to tell you that The Walking Dead is certainly worth your time. So if you opted out of watching it or have been living under a rock this past couple of years, you need to start watching this show.


What I Liked


The show does a great job of offering us a reality where an unknown infection has resurrected the dead and everyone is at risk. The decisions that characters make aren't hard to relate to and the scenarios are definitely plausible. It really shows that the creators/writers thought well about what the world would look like if it came to a zombie apocalypse. And if that doesn't convince you then the makeup and special effects will. The dead aren't just plain white makeup and blood; they're eyes glow in the dark and their limbs have been grotesquely severed.

If you're wondering about the characters, their stories are actually very interesting. Each one has a unique personality and their development is important to the story. Just as you'd expect, a character that survives a helpless attack by a "walker" – the common name used for the undead – but manages to survive will suffer from trauma that in time affects their behavior and outlook on his/her life.

Survival is on every one's mind in this series and you wouldn't want to miss the drama this creates. The worst way to die in this story is not by the hands of the undead, but by the living.

What I didn't like


Although this show turned into a hit, there were a few things I found leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. To me at least, when a scene comes to explosions or destruction, it's very obvious it's not real. I've already seen a scene that includes blowing up a glass window, you can see the glass windows break apart completely, no miscellaneous pieces of glass hanging from any sides of the frame. I find myself asking, if it was powerful enough to blow away all the glass, then why were the other windows adjacent to it not affected at all...?

It's kind of slow in the second season. The first one was done in six 1-hour episodes, whereas the second has a total of X episodes. It might be those extra episodes but the focus started shifting away from one unresolved issue into another.

Rating: 8/10


Regardless of said flaws, you need to watch this show now! You might not even notice the flaws and the positives I meantioned most certainly outweigh them. So whether you agree with me or not, watch the first episode and then make up your mind. Let me know what you think!

The Walking Dead Seasons 1-4 are now available on Netflix and new episodes start airing on AMC starting Oct 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment